Brain Bubbles

Expressions of a caffiene regulated brain.

baby

Friday, February 25, 2005

Help Desk Bananas for Brains

Why is it that when you ring a help desk, that the staff are always snotty, rude, condescending, impatient and thoroughly unprofessional? I am not a moron when it comes to computers and I worked in IT for a few years before changing to the travel industry. So when I rang the help desk for our accounting software (I am happy to admit that I am NOT an accountant), I expected a bit of help, and not the torrent of sarcasm that I did receive. Basically what I created another user profile in XP for my work pc, so that when I leave at 14h00 that the person who comes in then, can use their own profile, email etc. However our accounting software package is this antiquated dos based thing that came off Noah's ark and didn't appear in the programme list. So I checked to see how my computer connected, mapped a network drive to the accounting share and all I needed was the file path from that point on to find the little .exe icon. So the Bitches on the other end of the line are like "oh, you can't do that, it doesn't work, you have to install a new version of the software onto the new profile (!!!), and when I said "actually that's not true all I need is the file path", I was told...."well if you're such an expert why did you ring us?" Needless to say, I rang the help desk manager - WHO ALSO DIDN'T KNOW and was JUST AS SARCASTIC. So I ring the local rep, who emailed me the path. I mean really!! I am busy composing the mother of all complaints letters addressed to the CEO of the company. They really, REALLY don't want to mess with me, a pregnant battleaxe...