Brain Bubbles

Expressions of a caffiene regulated brain.

baby

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Raging Fire

There is a fire raging within metres of homes on Table Mountain. Hannah, this was more or less your view from the Mount Nelson. Oh wait, you weren't there but in the Waterfront itself. This might sound really trite, but I'm thankful that this fire at this stage is not near us. It would have to rage down a mountain range to get to us, but thankfully our fire fighters and helicopter squads are amazingly good. The thing that breaks my heart most about 'veld' (bush) fires is all the animals that don't make it out in time. Another thing that scares me is the fact that the wind has not stopped galing for 24hrs now. The fire was started at about 15h00 today -and so far they can't stop the blaze, one woman has already died. You have to ask yourself, what the hell is going on? There are floods, in Bangladesh and India, Tsunamis in the far east, lowest recorded temperatures in Europe this season, my brother tells me of record highs in Australia in the last few days, apparently the oceans will rise about 28cm by the time 2100 is here. Now that I have kids - and I'm sure they will have kids - this stuff is going to affect them, and that really worries me! We cannot afford to keep doing what we are doing to the earth anymore. Explain to me why that whale swam up the Thames in London the other day - what the hell are we doing to the oceans that a whale has to swim up one of the most polluted rivers in the world?!! By the way, I read an article that Norway are building a secure seed bank - where they put examples of all crops and flowers on earth deep into the mountain and then seal it if ever there is nuclear war, or an ice-age or something, tell me -what the hell do they know that we don't??! Posted by Picasa